A brief history of the boiler company:
1976 - James Nicol Boilers is formed by Mr JS Nicol Snr.
- Mr JS Nicol Snr spent many years working as a marine engineer having sailed as a chief engineer with various wartime shipping companies. Thereafter he became a hospital chief engineer and then a Cornhill boiler inspector.
- His boiler plant construction experience was gained whilst working for Marshalls of Motherwell, Cochran Boilers and then with Marshalls of Gainsborough.
- After Marshalls of Gainsborough closed, Mr JS Nicol Snr decided to setup his own company, James Nicol Boilers.
- Initially the company focused on Boiler Plant Servicing, then Boiler Sales before specialising in Hire Boilers.
2001 - Laidlaw Drew Ltd acquires James Nicol & Son Boilers
- Laidlaw Drew, a well-established company with a wealth of over 77 years of combustion engineering excellence acquires James Nicol & Son Boilers to expand their capabilities and expertise into a related field.
- The company trades as JNB Boilers.
2004 - JNB Boilers is renamed LD Boilers
- The company was renamed to promote the integration and successful global brand, Laidlaw Drew with its trading division.
2006 - Present
- Watkins Hire Ltd Acquires Assets of LD Boilers (Formerly Jim Nicol Boilers)
LD Boilers will be operated autonomously from Watkins Hire to concentrate on the Scottish market place, existing customers will be pleased to hear that LD Boilers will be operated by Ian Livenstone. Ian will be introducing a modern fleet of heating boilers and steam boilers along with other related products in the very near future.